Friday, March 23, 2007

The Future of Film?


Yesterday I wrote about getting screwed by You Tube. Shortly after publishing I met with Richard, a current student, who is hot to make a feature this summer. He is a decent writer and wants to make a film on the cheap using a Panasonic P2 camera or even mini-dv.

It is hard not to encourage him, but at the same time I want him to not rush into anything. 20 years ago when I graduated from college, making a feature was a pipe dream. It took me 5 years to get it all together- and then I barely had enough ($150,000) to get through production. Editing was another challenge- 6months cutting 35mm film on a flatbed.

Today, you can buy a pro-sumer P2 camera for about $5500, a good computer, editing software and back up hard drives for $2500 and you are set. I am envious of Richard, yet concerned at the same time. My gut tells me he would be better off waiting and exploring all his options before rushing into production.

My gut also tells me I better get one of those cameras and get going or I am going to left behind.

PeterH

No comments: