Sunday, November 18, 2007

Solidarity

This is a picture of my friend Craig walking the WGA picket line in Los Angeles earlier this week. His TV show, Unhitched, for Fox is on hold due to the strike and Craig walked the line in support of the writers.

The day before Criag sent me the photo a former student and teaching assistant of mine who is now in Los Angeles e-mailed me to say she, too, was walking the line in support of the writers. Eliza Hajek is not a celebrity actress but an up and coming editor. She was offered an assistant editor position on Grey's Anatomy, but the show and job is on hold due to the strike.

I think these two stories really highlight some of the overlooked issues of the strike. While Craig is a successful actor who has money in the bank (though I am pretty sure he still owes me $50 from 20 years ago) and can ride out a strike, Eliza and her brethren are a few pay grades lower and while not living paycheck to paycheck, still need to pay the bills. I am glad to see them both on the line putting a different face on the battle between the writers and producers. And for everyone's sake I hope the strike ends soon.

PeterH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'I Love Writers'
T-Shirts, Hats, Stickers, Mugs, Buttons, Magnets, and more are now available at:


******* ILoveThisShirt.net *******

Show your Support for the Writers Strike!!!

le narrateur said...

To be fair, while I was offered the position, I wasn't able to take it because I am not in the editor's union yet.

I think it's the first time I've been lucky enough not to get a job I really wanted.

PeterH said...

Le Narrateur,

Why ruin a good story with the facts? If facts were so important we wouldn't be in a war in Iraq.

PeterH