Sunday, June 3, 2007

Modern Times

"Nostalgia is death," I think Bob Dylan said that. If not it sounds like he could have said it. If none of the above then I said it first, so give me the credit. Where is the line between reminiscing and living in the past? I don't know, but it is somewhere between "back then" and today.

As a teacher I often tell stories to illustrate a point and if you have read more than one of these posts you know what I mean. However, I am always concerned about reliving the past rather than creating a new future. In this business, in this world, things are changing so quickly we must adapt or we will become obsolete. I hope when I tell a story about the "old film" days (1999 and before) I don't come across like Dana Carvey's old man character. "We used to wait two days to get back synced rushes, and we liked it that way! We didn't have any of this High Definition or 24p."

All this brings me back to Dylan. One of his first famous records was of course, The Times They Are A-Changin'. His last album, brilliant I think, is called Modern Times. I hope, like him, I can be both of the past and of the times. If I am just nostalgic, I think I'd rather be dead.

PeterH

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

Great post, I was having some nostalgia today (even posted about it). I don't know if you or Bob originate that quote but I like it. Both of you seem to have some wisdom :)

BTW - think Modern Times is the best he's come out with in years!